Monday, 27 November 2017

You see U - my first time running a session

Email about online tutorial sessions

The link above takes you to a copy of the email I sent out to my NCEA L2 Bio students (or their supervisor if they were Dual Students), letting them know about the online sessions I was running using YouseeU, an online meeting/chat-room platform.

It was Halloween on the day of the Cells session so I had to explain that my hat wouldn't fit with my headset on as well...


I had 4 students attend the session on Cells and one had her video running as well as using the messaging function. Everyone was able to log on and no one got kicked out due to overload issues etc. I was able to share several resources from my desktop and also started a "live" document during the chat to give examples of a technique for revising concepts. I had to pause to give the typists time to let me know that they had a question, and to give Y/N responses to questions I had asked. I had only contacted my own students for this first series of sessions so I wasn't overwhelmed by heaps of attendees, and this therefore didn't create issues with bandwidth etc, and this also made follow-up contact with the attendees (to send out requested revision resources via email) fairly straightforward.

I intend to use this forum in future and may look at offering a couple of sessions a term which unpack a complex topic or concept (such as cellular respiration in L2 Bio), and offer this to any students, not just my own cohort. I'd need a few more admin steps in this instance as I'd need to view details for any student attending if they weren't on my class list and would need to get their student ID number in advance (can't ask for it in public chat due to privacy issues)

I consulted colleagues (Kaye & Phobie - many thanks!) on the how/why/what and do's + dont's of setting up and running a YouseeU session, and had to learn how to book the session in to our system and the best way to share the meeting link with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment