Identified inquiry context: What will the inquiry be centered around? What is the evidence that has helped to identify the context and the priority learners?
Does Stile as an online platform prove to be a useful/motivational/optimal tool when working with LA students on Big Picture ideas such as careers, aspirations, interest areas, community links for shadowing opportunities How effective can Stile be when regularly engaging with LA students about BP concepts
Set Goals:
What is the planned outcome/s from this intervention? (ie the intended impact on both teaching and learning)
- By focussing on the student’s interests and community links and ideas on job/career areas we can foster student agency in their learning and wellbeing – help the students develop a “future possibilities/future vision” for area(s) of interest which may then relate to career areas. To help students see that their agency is the driver for their direction and pace of success. By engaging whanau in this conversation we can build on the support for our student’s learning.
Mid year update:
I will be moving away from using Stile as the online forum I was aiming to use for student engagement as it can’t be used in a synchronous manner.
I will be shifting my focus on to using live/synchronous online chat sessions on Growth Mindset as means of engaging students, and will continue to work on encouraging my Learning Advisory students to attend these sessions. I have one regular LA attendee and his mum is very positive about Conrad’s attendance.
I am enthused about developing my own understanding of Growth Mindset and sharing my learning with students as I feel this underpins the issue of engagement. As such I have attended 3 webinars so far in the last 3 months – 2 hosted by Prof Jo Boaler at Stanford University (incorporating the latest research on the effects of Growth mindset in education, citing Carol Dweck’s research), and one run by Cassie at Create-abilities about fostering a growth mindset in your classroom. Cassie has a Masters in Instructional Design and comes from an angle of Primary teaching – the skills and attributes are entirely transferable to secondary students!
No comments:
Post a Comment